วันจันทร์ที่ 31 ตุลาคม พ.ศ. 2554

Why Learn English As a Second Language?

Why not? It's the international Language of choice for so many organisations and businesses world-wide. Frankly, whilst the USA remains the dominant economic and political power globally, then English is likely to retain its importance and popularity. So if you're in the International marketplace, be it as a Sales person, an Engineer, scientist or politician, then maybe having a good level of confidence and competence in English is a necessity? Coming from an automotive background, I can immediately think of several scenarios that I have found myself in with colleagues from around the world where e better level of English would not only have helped them, but also moved the business forward significantly! Here's the non-English speaker in a meeting - maybe he or she is a leading authority on their subject:


Our subject hears something said in the meeting that he knows is rubbish - the speaker obviously hasn't grasped a particular point. "He's wrong!" - but how do I tell him that politely?
Again, our man listens (and understands from the slides being shown) to an idea being put forward. "That's not the best way" - but how do I tell them what the best way is in terms that they will understand and without offending them?
Imagine a particularly long meeting. "I'm thirsty" - but how do I ask for a drink around here?
It's getting to some more technical point in the discussion or presentation. "I'd really like to see the way that he calculated that" - but how do I ask him?
After the meeting - the social occasion, where business is often done over a few drinks, or a good meal. "I don't want to eat here; I've heard it's no good!" - but how do I let them know?
Getting to the point of the meeting: "That's a lousy deal!" - but how do we discuss this in the kind of detail I want to go into?
"I really want to understand what makes this colleague / customer 'tick' - it would make this project / negotiation much easier" - but I'm stuck for words! English is too difficult!

How many more reasons does a boss need to get his best people well trained in speaking English as a Second Language?

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น